Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Purple Pigtail Hairbows - finally!

My mom is always telling me, "if it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!"  I'm always saying what a smart mother I have!

We have a pretty busy household, so even though I've been wanting to making some purple pigtail hairbows for my 4 year old cutie, it hasn't happened.  But today I fit it in.  Somewhere in between the bus and carpool.

I knew what I wanted to do, and I knew where the supplies were.  (click here for a list of supplies you will need to make a baby hair bow.)  At least the general area.



I decided to make a 5 loop bow out of a nice rich purple grosgrain that matched her shirt exactly.  We were running low on rhinestones (due to a princess party a few weeks ago) so we came up with our own bling.  I covered a button with some of the ribbon, and a layer of a beautiful purple sheer with sparkle from a pageant dress last year.  Scraps like that must be saved!  (need instructions on how to make baby hair bows? click here!)

The hairbows turned out really good, and the sizes even match!  Matching is the biggest challenge when making two identical bows.  I advise keeping a ruler handy, or making marks on your bowdabra to help keep the loops the same length.



My other advice, pull the metal loops out of the back of the button before you put it together.  Then it doesn't fall apart when you try to remove them later.  :)

All in all, I was pretty happy with the bows that came together in 10 minutes!  Here's to a happy (hectic) household that loves bows!

No comments: